Tuesday 29 July 2014

Space: a gallery wall in O'Brien's 57th Street loft



There isn't a single corner in designer Thomas O'Brien's NYC loft on 57th Street that I don't like. Every photo I have seen shows an impeccably styled home, which can be expected from a man of his caliber. Before my blog break I told you that I got his book American Modern on my birthday and I have been enjoying its pages. House & Garden visited O'Brien in his home back in 2007 and the gallery wall in his bedroom caught my attention, especially the star chart, in the top-left corner, which he has featured on his blog, or the from-the-desk section on his Aero Studios website. It is featured in the book as well, where it's differently styled (see photo):
This 1940s star chart is a touchstone for me. I found it while antiquing on a quick trip upstate, stealing a few hours in a town just north of New York City. I instantly knew I would frame it and put it in my bedroom. I thought nothing would be more perfect for a bedroom than a dark blue night sky. I love the large celestial scale of it, a world in itself. (American Modern, p. 68)
I don't know about you, but I think I may keep my eyes open for star charts the next time I go to a flea market or enter a vintage shop. Speaking of shops, later this week, perhaps tomorrow, I'm taking you back to NYC and showing you a stylish design boutique in the East Village that offers handmade items.

photo credit:
Martyn Thompson for House & Garden, November 2007 via Architectural Digest

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing how this room has a serene atmosphere despite the fact that it is full with pieces and details. The magic lies in a condequent hue! Great example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the gallery wall definitely takes away any feeling of clutter in that corner! I love it.

      Delete
  2. One day soon I will have to start working on the gallery wall I've had in mind for much too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, if you only knew for how long I have been playing with the idea of a gallery wall. It seems each time my ideas fall into place we move and I have to start all over again ;-)

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous spot. I love the star chart; so nautical and romantic at the same time. I do like how the frames keep going on up over the door jamb, which is my next move on my wall that I have in the hallway. Love it:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.