Tuesday 16 June 2015

Going coastal



I have gone completely coastal. All day my mind has been drifting to the shore and I just want to feel the sand between my toes and dip them into the sea. It all started when my husband sent me an image from his current location. He's away for work and is staying in one of those small towns by the sea that have a beach and a port. Tomorrow is our anniversary (17 years), and the National Day of Iceland, and if the kids didn't have school we could have been there with him and celebrated. Perhaps some other time.

As a compensation to enjoy with my latte this morning, I bought the July issue of Country Living UK, which happens to be filled with coastal style. There is this one editorial that caught my attention, Shades of the Shoreline, beautifully styled by Hester Page, lensed by Catherine Gratwicke. If I had a beach cottage that corner above with the vintage, rustic desk would be in it. I'm thinking about copying part of that look in our entrance this summer. I have a white wooden table there and I just need to get some shells and green glassware. In fact, I saw green bottles and jars in a shop recently that would be perfect.



There are plenty of other interesting editorials and articles in the magazine and one of them is a travel piece about Guernsey that ends with this cute illustrated map below (love those!). After reading the book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (see this post) my best friend and I have been dreaming of one day visiting the island together.


As of late, I have been slightly obsessed with banana leaves and I learned from the article that Seigneur Peter de Sausmarez of the Sausmarez Manor in St. Martin 'transformed five acres of woodland into a tropical paradise with bamboo and banana tree-lined pathways, more than 300 camellia bushes and an idyllic sculpture garden' (p. 64). Another place I would visit is the Hauteville House, with Victor Hugo's Garden, where the writer lived when he was in exile on the island from 1856 until 1870.


images by me | credit: Country Living UK, July 2015, Shades of the Shoreline, pp. 92-98 · Catherine Gratwicke · stylist Hester Page


2 comments:

  1. I love going coastal:-) And the Channel Islands have been on my travel list like forever. Maybe I'll make it there one day...happy hump day, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will make it to the Channel Islands one day; it's shouldn't be hard to hop over from Paris, right?

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.