Monday 14 March 2016

Wild Thing in red emerald by Lewis & Wood



The fabric sample above is a detail of Wild Thing in red emerald, a linen fabric by Lewis & Wood that I have been admiring for months. Last autumn they sent me a stack of textile samples and this particular piece was the first thing that caught my attention. I had seen the fabric in its entirety - 'a bold large print pattern featuring foliage, flowers and wildlife' - on their website and cannot say it particularly interested me, perhaps because there seemed to be too much going on; it was too wild for me. When I turned it over to view the information on the back I honestly thought the sample had been wrongly labelled. When my mind finally began registering that this was in fact the Wild Thing fabric I realised how important it is to focus on the details of fabrics before judging.



The motifs of the fabric are flowers, leaves, birds and a monkey. What makes the fabric so interesting to me is the way the dyes are unrestricted. There are outlines but the dyes are both inside and outside the lines, which makes the design even wilder and more vibrant.

Wild Thing in red emerald and ginger kiwi by Lewis & Wood

The Wild Thing fabric is available in three colourways: copper cobalt, ginger kiwi, and the aforementioned red emerald. I think the copper cobalt fabric (below) is ideal for those who perhaps want to play it a little safer but for me the red emerald is the winner. I can easily picture it as my future bedroom curtains.

Wild Thing in copper cobalt by Lewis & Wood


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I'm always on the hunt for fabrics.
    And these are beautiful! I love the design of it and I'm with you the red emerald speaks also to me.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audrey, for you comment. I think I'm slowly turning my workspace into a small fabric-sample museum; cannot get enough of fabrics!

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.