Wednesday 10 November 2010

advent wreath

via BoligLiv

Yesterday, I found the Christmas issue of BoligLiv (a Danish magazine) in the letter box and I almost screamed of joy. OK, I screamed a little but not too loud! My daughters were just as excited because the issue is filled with pretty things, decorations and design; there is something for everyone. I love Scandinavian design. Last Christmas when I was living in Copenhagen, walking on Strøget, the main shopping street, and the cute small streets surrounding it, going to a café, and visiting Illums Bolighus was a recipe for a perfect day.

Back to BoligLiv. In the magazine is an article on Advent wreaths and it's interesting to see the various forms. I keep an Advent wreath in December because I'm brought up with it and it's just one of those Christmas traditions I hold on to. I absolutely love the one above made by artist Louise Hindsgavl. Look at the animals she included ... j'adore!

This blog entry will be longer than usual because now I have to tell you the story of the first Advent wreath I bought.




Many years ago my hubby built us a cosy wooden house. It was the first home we owned, and the first Christmas in that house, with everything finished, I decided to splurge. I bought a rather expensive Advent wreath in my favourite flower shop and I was really happy with my purchase. It was made of wood and it had red candles and beautiful small ornaments; it was just perfect, raw and tasteful. I knew I'd be able to use it for many years; each year I'd only have to buy new candles and ribbons.

Anyway, as much as I love Christmas, I'm always glad when the holidays are over and I can pack my minimal decorations and focus on the beginning of a new year. So, it was after the first Christmas in that house, I went out for a few hours and when I got back home everything looked so nice. My husband had cleaned and packed the Christmas decorations, and he was sitting in our living room with the fire burning, coffee and a cheesecake. It was just one of those moments when life is perfect.

There I was, in the bliss of the moment, enjoying coffee and cheesecake with my wonderful hubby. Then out of curiosity I asked him how he had packed the Advent wreath. I didn't know if he had thrown away the candles or put everything together in a box.

First there was silence.

Hubby: The Advent wreath?
I: Yes, the Advent wreath; the one that was on the table.

Longer silence.

Hubby: Was I supposed to pack it?

At that moment I thought he had simply put it in the cupboard or something.

Even longer silence.

I: What did you do with the Advent wreath I bought?
Hubby: Were you going to use it again?
I: Yes, that's why I bought an expensive one, what did you do with it?

More silence.

And then I looked at our fireplace.

There it was, my beautiful and expensive Advent wreath, burning so beautifully and keeping us warm.

8 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, such a great stort!
    Poor hubby, bet he was not very popular that day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was just too funny! The look on his face was priceless; impossible to be angry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Classic Christmas memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats hilarious... Nice pics!!
    Have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny.... ahhh men... what are we gonna do with them?!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Lisa! i laugh. for the silences in between... ; )

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.