Friday 17 February 2012

nyfw with garance doré & the sartorialist


It's another Fashion Friday. Yesterday was the final day of the New York Fashion Week, which I've been enjoying in the comfort of my own home. How fun it would be to go to some of these shows one day! Today I'm sharing photos from two fashion bloggers who need no introduction, the lovely couple Garance Doré and Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist.

Garance Doré posted some photos from the much-debated Marc Jacobs show, a show that was definitely not for those who have strong preconceived ideas about fashion. As I'm not one of them I absolutely loved it; Marc Jacobs had me at that first look in the top photo. Classic elegant pieces are always beautiful to look at but we have to have humour in fashion and Marc Jacobs took care of that at the NYFW. Some of the outfits were presented in a ridiculously funny way, under different versions of the song Who Will Buy? from the musical Oliver! (that part was priceless), but I instantly found myself breaking things down in my mind and really liking the individual pieces.

So, will you buy?

Now to earthier elements through the lens of The Sartorialist. Scott Schuman attended the shows of Michael Kors (top) and Marc by Marc Jacobs (bottom) and here are some of my favourite looks.


Finally, I'm leaving you with a few NYFW links just for fun:

•  Jason Wu enchanted me with this look, here worn by Zuzanna Bijoch
•  fabulous and colourful street style slide show at Vogue.com, photographed by Phil Oh
•  Victoria Beckham looked so beautiful at her wonderful show
•  Ralph Lauren's show was definitely one of my favourites (note to self: watch Downton Abbey)
•  Garance Doré made this video called Pardon My French, which I find very entertaining:

 

•  and I had to add this non-NYFW-related link because I absolutely love Natalia Vodianova on the cover of the March issue of Vogue Paris – I'm so buying a copy!

Have a fabulous Friday!

photo credit:
1-3: Garance Doré at Marc Jacobs
4-5: Scott Schuman – The Sartorialist at Michael Kors
6-7: Scott Schuman – The Sartorialist at Marc by Marc Jacobs

YouTube: Garance Doré / Pardon My French Episode 1

15 comments:

  1. I have to admit I'm the "I didn't like it" team regarding Marc Jacob's collection. And not because I only search for prettiness or what I would wear in fashion, but simply because I don't think this is what pushing the boundaries of fashion means. Just my unprofessional opinion.
    I loved Victoria Beckham and Ralph Lauren. Garance has a unique style in presenting the fashion world. I admire her work and talent. xo
    PS: I'm definitely buying a copy of Vogue Paris too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't follow closely enough to have a real opinion. so I keep my mouth shut. love Victoria Beckham's collection, tho, I agree with you on that. even tho I sometimes wonder what her carrying her daughter like a asseccory around with her will do. even I'm almost tempted to have a baby just to have it dangle off my arm like this!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, Love, love all the links. I find Garance so utterly enchanting and Natalia is beautiful on that cover..so elegant and poised yet also so very childlike.

    Have a fabulous weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh-la-la, I like the new design dear!
    Have a great weekend :)

    Hugs,
    Signe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marc Jacobs succeeded in getting total mileage out of his show via blogs, twitter, press, etc, etc. After all isn't that the point. At first glance i didn't know what to make of it all, but in fact I rather like those shoes (i know, go figure), but I agree you do have to break it all down and look at individual pieces (without those madhatter hats!) to see something different. Fashion is a spectacle after all.
    Garance can do no wrong for me - she is super cool.
    Have a great weekendxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was definitely entertained by the Marc Jacobs show so you can put me in the fan camp. There are definitely quite a few pieces I'd wear. And you picked some great looks from the Kors & Marc show.

    Lastly, loved the Garance piece. I think I'd need to live on coffee to get through fashion week as well. The most shows I've ever been to in one day is 2 and that was a few years ago so I was a bit younger then ;)

    Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the Marc Jacobs show/collection as well but I've always been a fan of his tongue in cheek humour. Anyway if you actually look past the spectacle at the pieces, they were quite beautiful. I love seeing NYFW through the eyes of Garance and Scott. Happy weekend Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could buy clothes like this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love them both... such a great creative couple!!! that show and the clothes were amazing... Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Victoria Beckham's design and must pick up Vogue Paris.

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, still can't get past the hats I'm afraid! But I am a huge fan of Garance and I can't wait to see more of her Pardon My French series. As for Ralph Lauren, I just finished watching Downton Abbey and am irrevocably hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pardon my French turned a smile on my face, she is so adorable! I can appreciate the humor of Marc Jacbobs extravagant designs and show, but I'll be honest to say that I'd rather would've seen more beautiful things.
    The colors from the outfits you've selected are fabulous I look forward to see more of those! The knit paired with the shimmery skirt, loooove that.
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm usually a fan of Marc Jacobs but I must admit that I didn't quite know what to make of these pieces. I'm still on the fence but he gets full marks for entertainment! Michael Kors was my absolute favourite! Hope you have a wonderful weekend Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the video! Oh the life le sigh. And Victoria Beckham never fails to impress. I want all her pieces in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say I wasn't a fan of the Marc Jacobs show, but I can definitely see the humour in it. How fun is Garance's video? Love all of your links! Hope you are having a brilliant weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.