Friday 6 December 2013

A new notebook for a new home



Today it feels a bit strange not to be celebrating St. Nicholas Day, as we did in Luxembourg and Belgium. We always kept that day festive and enjoyed hot chocolate and cookies after the kids opened the presents from Santa. Now the children are at school and I'm home alone with the two Persians, reading my January issue of Harper's Bazaar UK and feeling quite happy with my new Moleskine journal. I thought a new home called for a new notebook, and they even gave me a pen and a day planner for 2014. I love the yellow colour. Almost makes me ready for spring!

How is it going with the Christmas preparation? Honestly, I was getting a bit desperate about my Christmas mood, which I couldn't seem to find (don't let the ribbons fool you, I’m not there yet!). Yesterday there was a breakthrough; I eyed a hope. For dinner we decided on a few simple courses and as I sat there enjoying marinated salmon with dill and mustard sauce on a toast (a popular starter at Christmas in my parents' home), fresh clementines and pistachios, with Icelandic Christmas music in the background, I'm quite sure I felt something - a hint of Christmas spirit. Tonight it's of course Friday pizza but I think I will repeat yesterday's ritual tomorrow to see if it works again. Who knows, I may even start using the ribbons.

Have a wonderful weekend!

*Looking for inspiration for the holidays? Check out my Christmas board on Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. There is no hint of Christmas in our home yet, but we do celebrate St. Nicholas Day and I've always loved this holiday as an understated cousin of Christmas. But this weekend it's going to be cookies and biscotti and even pumpkin bread and I think I'm even going to do a little decorating, nothing too festive, just candles and pine cones. Have a wonderful weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't seem to get the spirit moving either. my tree has been sitting sadly undecorated for a week. may tackle that tonight and listed to some christmas tunes! your marinated salmon sounds delicious. is it smoked salmon or plain? what is the marinade? i love making recipes from other people and cultures. we always have different seafood dishes on Christmas eve and this might be great to have. thanks and happy holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kerry and thank your for visiting. I bought the salmon marinated so I don't have a recipe for that one, but I may share the sauce on the blog before Christmas. It's my father's recipe (he was a chef). I think I know in which box I put it before the move ;-)

      Delete
  3. would love to have recipe for your families salmon. is it smoked and what is the marinade?
    i am having a hard time getting the "spirit." love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I love your new journal, hoping that it finds many peaceful and beautiful moments to record in your new life.Of course, I've always found that any time I have something important to write in a notebook, that's just about the time that the cat decides to take a nap on it. I'm actually enjoying the colder weather but still am not feeling so Christmas-y yet either.
    Hugs,
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I don't keep a journal, but I like writing down inspirations for the blog and quotes ;-) The Persians haven't taken a nap on this one yet ... but I'm assuming it's bound to happen!

      Delete
  5. I have the exact same notebook, still empty, waiting for 2014 to arrive maybe?

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.