Thursday 12 June 2014

Outdoor living

Outdoor living is a temporary series on the blog that contains stylish outdoor living areas and sometimes al fresco table settings. It's about celebrating the season of summer!


Today I wanted to take you somewhere exotic and after going through my files I picked this oceanfront retreat in Lamu, an island off Kenya. After all, Kenya is my dream destination. The house owner is Kay Osterweis, who collaborated with architectural designer Claudio Modola to make her dream come true, but he has a house across the channel on the neighbouring island of Manda. The living area above takes my breath away. It's both an indoor and outdoor space that overlooks the Indian Ocean. The balcony below is off one of the guest rooms and offers a view of Manda.

Eleven years after her first, brief visit, Kay ... has settled into the rhythms of life on Lamu, yet she still expresses a sense of disbelief: “It is almost like a figment of my imagination. It is a surprise every time I walk up the steps. It is the place I go to for restoration, healing, reading, being close to nature. It is my piece of heaven." (from the A.D. article)
I had to include the master bedroom. Imagine waking up and walking out onto that terrace!


photo credit:
Tim Beddow for Architectural Digest, November 2007

5 comments:

  1. A dream house! You would find me working or reading on that terrace overlooking the island of Manda. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much work I would get done in a place like that, but definitely some reading ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, amazing house and that bedroom is like a dream. Hope your summer has been a good one and that you got my email a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.