Thursday 26 June 2014

Outdoor living

Outdoor living is a temporary series on the blog that contains stylish outdoor living areas and sometimes al fresco table settings. It's about celebrating the season of summer!


Today we are at the Malibu beach house of designer and antiques dealer Richard Shapiro. It was featured in Architectural Digest in 2011 and it is one of my all-time favourite house tours (architect: Douglas W. Burdge). The rustic outdoor living area is just as stylish as the interior. Through glass doors with steel window frames you walk onto a stone terrace with the Pacific Ocean right in front. It is furnished with rattan and wicker chairs and the textiles are mainly striped. The large ceramic jar is 16th-century Thai. Did I mention the fireplace?


I had to add the reading nook in the library as well. It's such a beautiful and stylish corner. With windows on both sides, it has plenty of light, yet it has that moody feeling that I'm looking for. The mismatched stripes are perfection, if you ask me. The painting is by Shapiro himself and the antique table is 15th-century Italian.


photo credit:
Miguel Flores-Vianna for Architectural Digest, April 2011

7 comments:

  1. Wow it truly blows my mind that people live like this...this is a stunning space. Beyond words really.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, his house is truly stunning!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful picks, Lisa..
    Wouldn't mind spending a few days in the first one!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, the outdoor space is so very beautiful!!! I wouldn't want to leave if I were to spend some time there. And the fireplace! I think my summer evenings would be very, very long. :)
    PS: we've been away with work and now we stopped by my parents' country house for the weekend. A glass of cold rose it is for this evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it's perfection. There were some patios in Santa Fe off the art galleries that remind me of this but without the beautiful sea view. I too love those mismatched stripes. p.s. I emailed you this morning in case you didn't see the email :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the email, thank you, just had a busy day ;-)

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.