Friday 24 April 2015

a peaceful spot in the village



Last year when I moved to South Yorkshire I was under the impression that I was moving to a small town. It wasn't until people started asking me how I liked it in the village that I realised that I was living in one. I guess in my mind a village is a place that has a few brick houses, narrow cobblestone streets and an old post office with a vintage bicycle by the entrance.


This beautiful spot by the church in Auckley is probably one of few that has that village-feel to it, if one excludes the sound of traffic coming from the main street. The church is called St. Saviour and since I'm not a churchgoer I have never been inside it. I didn't notice the bench until I was walking with my son on a gorgeous spring day and saw the tree in bloom. The spot was like a magnet pulling us across the street; it looked so peaceful. Then we spotted the engraved plaque under the tree, which somehow made it more special.



Sometimes I feel like an eighty-year old when I talk about the weather on the blog but it feels as if summer has already arrived! We were in London on Tuesday and the city was bursting with life; people in shorts or skirts in the sun; all outdoor tables at cafés and restaurants occupied and everyone looking happy. We ended our day in the Chelsea district and enjoyed good (raw) food and coffee at Startisans, a pop-up café with street food on the Duke of York Square. I could have sat there until the evening enjoying the scenery and people watching.

Have a wonderful weekend!



4 comments:

  1. That is such a picturesque scene, love your first photo Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lana. I shot it in an afternoon light when I find it particularly beautiful.

      Delete
  2. So so beautiful, I just love that bench under the tree, it reminds me of a similar spot I found by the old library when I was in school at Berkeley. Sounds like village life is a sunny one...it's been rainy here (wearing a down vest, boots and coat still) but here's hoping it will warm up soon!

    p.s. I owe you an email and haven't forgotten!

    xoxo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A spot by the old library at Berkeley sounds lovely. Yes, it has been sunny over here but slightly colder for the last two days.

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.